My Client is a University based in South East London and are currently looking for Health and Safety Advisor. You will be working closely with the following:- Estates Safety and Compliance Manager, Occupational Health and Wellbeing Service, University Senior Management and Faculty/Office Health and Safety Management team, Students’ Union and Trade Union Representatives
5 days a week. 6 months temp contract. £17 an hourly rate
- Are you able to support the Head of Health and Safety by promoting and advising the University on matters of health and safety; Helping the University meet and surpass its statutory obligations for health and safety, ensuring staff and students of the University are safe and COVID-Secure.
- Can you provide health & safety advice, support, training and guidance to Faculties and Directorates across the University, to ensure a safe working environment and maintain the wellbeing of staff, students, contractors and visitors in support of the University’s Corporate Strategy.
Duties and Responsibilities:-
- Assist in administering the accident reporting system and review its data to measure performance, identify trends and produce University and Higher Education sector reports. Assist with investigations into significant accidents and reports under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases, and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR) on behalf of the University.
- Assist in developing, organising, delivery and participation of relevant training for University staff and ensure that training records are maintained.
- Provide professional health and safety advice and assistance in collaboration with internally appointed health and safety personnel to produce consistent standards and best practice throughout the University.
- Communicate with all University staff to promote effective health and safety management, knowledge of legislative changes and the delivery of appropriate development and training.
- Support the Head of Health and Safety in the implementation of the University Health and Safety Strategy and Plan, to address significant risks and monitor relevant health and safety performance indicators.
- Provide professional advice on operational health and safety issues. Assist with the implementation of policies, procedures and compliance strategies in line with best practice to ensure that the University complies with its obligations under health and safety legislation.
A willingness to travel to or from any of the university’s sites and provide cover on an out of hours rota, as required.
Experience and skills
- Experience as a health and safety advisor, delivery and guidance of health & safety in a large organisation
- Awareness and understanding of best practice in health and safety
- Review and assessment of health and safety performance and experience of providing advice to achieve positive changes in practice
- Do you have excellent communication skills, is motivated and work part of a team?
- Be able to positively influence individuals at all levels of an organisation, including the ability to achieve results from staff who are not direct reports?
- Are you able to analyse situations and solve problems?
- Are you able to manage a complex workload and prioritise activities to meet tight deadlines?
- Do you have IT literacy and a good understanding how technology can improve health and safety practice?
- Technician Member (or higher) of the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) or a minimum of three years equivalent experience
- BS OHSAS 18001 / ISO 45001 Auditor
- NEBOSH (The National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health) certificate in Fire Safety
If you are interested in the position please send us your CV with a brief covering statement to demonstrate how your skills and experience match the above requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step Ahead is acting as an Employment Agency
Step Ahead is committed to preventing discrimination in its recruitment practices by stimulating genuine equality of opportunity. This means that everyone is treated solely on the basis of competence and merit, regardless of age, gender, marital status, sexuality, ethnic, racial, religious or disability considerations, and we welcome applications from all sectors of the community.